National Federation of State Poetry Societies
The National Federation of State Poetry Societies offers online submission for the Stevens Poetry Manuscript Competition, the College Undergraduate Poetry Competition, the BlackBerryPeach Prizes for Poetry: Spoken and Heard, the NFSPS Founders Award Contest, and the Student Award Contest for students in grades 9 through 12.
If you do not have a Submittable account, you will be asked to open one during the submission process. This free account is yours permanently.
2018 Stevens Poetry Manuscript Competition
Awarding $1000 + Publication + 50 Books
- Except for previous Stevens winners, open to all poets writing in English
- Original work by a single author
- Include title page (title only), table of contents, and 48 to 70 pages of poetry, counting any section title pages but not counting front matter. Notes on Poems, if any, should be included in the count.
- May include previously published poems. Including acknowledgements in your manuscript will disqualify your submission. However, the winner will be required to provide an acknowledgements page before the manuscript is published.
- No author identification anywhere in manuscript; no biographical information that could disclose your identity; do not include your name as part of the name of the file you attach when submitting. Do not include acknowledgements. Winner can add them later. Do NOT include blurbs.
- No illustrations, color type, or fancy fonts.
- Pages numbered, one poem, one column per page. Poems may be continued on a second page, but do not put two poems on the same page
- Single space your manuscript. Use 12-point type in a conventional font such as Times New Roman. If you write in long lines or complex formats, be aware that the winning book will be published in a 6" x 9" format.
- Submit a document file, not a PDF file.
- Simultaneous and multiple submissions permitted. Notify us immediately if your manuscript is accepted elsewhere
Submissions will be accepted from August 1 through midnight PT, September 15, 2018. The Submittable online system will be accessible only during this time. No early or late submissions.
ENTRY FEE & PAYMENTS
The submission fee is $25 for non-NFSPS members and $20 for members. Membership in a state poetry society affiliated with NFSPS are automatically members. To verify that your state society is a affiliated, go to http://nfsps.com/links.htm. Not all "state poetry societies" are members, so please check and decide which submission window you should use.
- For online submissions, pay at Submittable.com with a credit card or PayPal.
- Simply submit the manuscript in a single document file from your computer into the designated area.
- The winner will be asked to submit an acknowledgements page later, if needed.
- You will be notified that your manuscript has been received.
All manuscripts will be reviewed for compliance with guidelines and overall quality by the competition chair. Approximately 100 manuscripts will be sent, without identification or acknowledgments, to an independent judge, who will remain anonymous until the results are announced. A different judge is used each year
The winning manuscript will be published by the NFSPS Press, and the book will be available for sale at the NFSPS annual convention and elsewhere in June 2019.
You may address questions to the contest chair via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.